We were fortunate enough to attend the preview of Research In Motion’s BlackBerry Storm, hosted by Maxis at he Maxis tower recently. Yes, we got to feel and touch the BlackBerry Storm even before the people that pre-booked laid their hands on it!
Being the first touch screen device from RIM, they have to come up with a unique way to differentiate themselves from other touch screen devices. Deemed as the first “clickable” touch screen device in the world, the 3.25 inch capacitive touch screen is like a trackpad button on your laptop, you’ll need to touch the item you want and click on it to register the selection. The large screen will also be perfect to play videos and view pictures on it. It’s 480 x 360 screen resolution makes the stuff displayed crisp and clear too.
The Storm also boasts a 3.2 megapixel camera with and a built in GPS receiver. The combination of these two also creates another feature, Geo-Tagging. All pictures taken by the camera is appended coordinate locations and you’ll be able to see where a particular picture was taken.
The Storm will be sold together with Maxis’ Value Plus 150 call plan for RM2,199, or if you opt to just purchase the Storm, it’ll cost you RM2,499.
More details after the jump.
Other features and functions
• BlackBerry® Internet Service, BlackBerry® Unite!, BlackBerry® Professional Software and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server support
• Preloaded DataViz® Documents to Go® allows users to edit Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the handset
• 3.2 megapixel camera with variable zoom, auto focus and a powerful flash that also provides continuous lighting when recording video
• Built-in GPS supports location-based applications and services, as well as geotagging of photos
• 1 GB of onboard memory storage and a microSD™/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB of additional storage
• Media player that can play movies smoothly in full-screen mode, display pictures and slideshows quickly and manage an entire music collection; playlists can be created directly on the handset and there’s an equalizer with 11 preset filters – including “Lounge,” “Jazz” and “Hip Hop” – for customized audio ranges when using wired headphones or external speakers
• A 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, support for Bluetooth® stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP) and dedicated volume controls
• Sleek, elegant design with contoured corners, stainless steel back and chrome accents surrounding its large (3.25″) glass lens; its exceptional 480 x 360 resolution at 184 ppi is crisp and bright with eye-pleasing clarity
• An ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts backlighting for ideal screen viewing and an accelerometer that allows customers to view applications in either portrait or landscape mode by simply rotating the handset
• Removable and rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides approximately six hours of talk time on 3G networks and 15 days of standby time